Saturday, April 14, 2012

Christos Anesti!

I found this and thought it might explain to some what "Greek Easter" is.

Once every few years, Greek Easter falls the same week as “American Easter,” as it was called when I was growing up.
In order for “Greek Easter” to be celebrated the same week as “American Easter,” Passover has to have been celebrated already. We Greeks don’t do Easter until after Passover, because how can you have Easter BEFORE Passover. Jesus went to Jerusalem to celebrate Passover, after all. Unless it is one of the years when the two holidays align. Like this year.
Here are some of the things that non-Greeks may not know about Greek Easter: We don’t do bunnies. We don’t do chocolate. We don’t do pastels.
We do lamb, sweet cookies, and deep red. The lamb is roasted and not chocolate, the sweet cookies are called Koulorakia and are twisted like a braid, and our Easter eggs are dyed one color only: blood red. There is no Easter Egg hunt. There is a game in which you crack your red egg against someone else’s red egg hoping to have the strongest egg, which would indicate you getting a lot of good luck.

Though we don't celebrate in such detail much anymore, the traditions are still alive! I look forward to our get together tomorrow with my Greek family!
Christos Anesti!! xo

-Papps

2 comments :

  1. We would always celebrate the Greek Easter with my Aunt and Uncle, (My Uncle is from Greece) and I always loved playing the game with the eggs with my cousins! My Aunt just posted pictures of their dyed eggs too! It was nice to remember.

    ReplyDelete

Recent comments